Tuesday, May 13, 2008

February....now it's May in Dubai!

I haven't written much in the past few months. Sammy and I haven't gone anywhere but we did have a visitor in February. My friend Samara visted from London and we had a great time. We didn't get out as much as we could have because we both were suffering from Jet Lag. It was the first time I took the direct between Houston and Dubai and it's a 17 hour flight and it took me a solid week to get over the jet lag. I felt like I was drugged I was so tired.

I started looking for a job in February and I finally found one that I'll be starting tomorrow. I'm really excited about it because it's a small women owned consulting firm. I'll be doing financial compliance which I'm excited about since I've been interested in doing anti-money laundering work and I'll be meeting and working with professional women.

It's really interesting here because most of the women you meet are housewives. The working women have even given them a nickname - Jumeriah Janes. These are women who don't work, have kids but have house staff to take care of everything including the kids. The only thing they seem to do is shop, lunch, and shop some more. It's funny because you see them in the mall, and then about 20ft behind them will be their kids with the maids.

I joined the Internation Women in Business Group which is how I found my job. Networking here is vitally important. If you aren't sent here from outside the country to work it's the only way you'll find a decent job. Online job hiring and the recruiting system isn't as sophisticated here as it is in the UK and the US. I also joined the American Women's Group but I haven't done much with them yet.

Anyway - we just returned from Greece and my next posting will be of that trip...

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment